RenTheWriter

Tea, Cats, and Books

A book is best read with tea in your hand and a cat on your lap.

A Darker Shade of Awesome!

A Darker Shade of Magic - Victoria Schwab, Victoria Schwab

Oh my gosh. I love this book. This was the first book I had read in a long time--months, years--that I enjoyed on a level comparable to that of Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. This is big, people!

Anyway, on to serious review stuff. A Darker Shade of Magic is Victoria Schwab's second book (her first being Vicious, which I shall be picking up in the near future). It follows Kell, one of the last Antari, a race with the ability to walk between parallel worlds, and Lila Bard, a no bullshit cutpurse with aspirations of being a pirate. (Does it not already sound cool?) Officially, Kell, and his totally amazing coat, is a messenger between the royal families of Red, Grey and White London. Not so officially, he is a smuggler, mostly providing magical knickknacks to Grey Londoners who are fascinated by the magic of Red London.

After Kell is robbed, then saved, by Lila, and Lila discovers what Kell can do, the two get wrapped up in an adventure neither of them was expecting to have. And it just gets more awesome from there! (I'm realizing now that what I just wrote is vaguely similar to the description on the back of the book...oh well.)

Victoria Schwab's characters are vibrant and diverse and just wonderful. She's created a fantabulous new world and a unique system of magic. There's fighting and deception and torture and clever humor and more magic, and the tiniest bit of chemistry. It's got everything!

Okay, I'm fangirling here. It was hell of a fun read for me and I fangirled even more when I found out there is going to be a second one!

So yeah. I'd recommend you check it out.