RenTheWriter

Tea, Cats, and Books

A book is best read with tea in your hand and a cat on your lap.

The Princess Bride, which should really be renamed Cary Elwes looks hot in a mask

The Princess Bride - William Goldman

Ah, the Princess Bride, a classic, both in movie and book form. I've finally gotten around to reading it and have finally finished! (And am now writing a review!)

The Princess Bride is a story that kind of conflicts with multiple sides of my personality. On the one hand, it is a very fun, light read that doesn't take itself too seriously and deals with fluffy, lovely things like true love and friendship and loyalty. On the other hand, it can be a bit, hm, sexist and doesn't exactly have a strong female character.

But this fact aside, it is a very enjoyable book with adventure and sword fighting and torture and true love and all that other stuff William Goodman's father/Fred Savage's grandfather lists before the story even starts.

Some people may find the interspersed dialogue from Goldman to be annoying or distracting but I think that is what makes the story what it is. This is really a man trying to retell his favorite story from his childhood and show the world the brilliance he sees in Morgenstern's writing.

I'm actually finding it kind of difficult to write a decent review of this book. I feel like people who have seen The Princess Bride or read it are either going to love it or hate it. There doesn't really seem to be an in between area. But if, based on all the adjectives I've thrown out in the last few paragraphs, it seems like you'd enjoy this story, pick it up and give it a read...and also watch the movie. In closing I say to you,

"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya, if you don't like The Princess Bride, it's likely you will be publicly shunned."

~Ren