RenTheWriter

Tea, Cats, and Books

A book is best read with tea in your hand and a cat on your lap.

SPOILER ALERT!

Welcome to Pern (A vaguely spoilerish review)

Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight #1 - Brynne Stephens, Lela Dowling, Cynthia Martin, Anne McCaffrey

So I picked up Dragonflight partly because it was recommended to me and partly because I recently decided that I should write a dragon book someday. So I figured it would be best to gather some information from those who had already written dragon books.

Dragonflight is the first in the Dragonsriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey. It begins by introducing us to Lessa of Ruatha, who has been living in hiding for the last 10 years after her family was betrayed and overthrown by the evil Lord Fax. She has been waiting for her moment to overthrow fax and reclaim her rightful place as ruler of Ruatha Hold. But just as she is about to make her move, F'lar and his wing of dragons descend in search of a new Wyerwoman. After dispatching Fax, Lessa is instead swept away to Benden Wyer to become Wyerwoman and Impress upon the new queen.

It took me a bit to get into this book. McCaffery's writing style felt a bit odd to me, but after awhile I got into the flow of it. The first book also seemed to consist of a lot of exposition and discussing of what to do about this problem or another. The action didn't really kick in until the very end of the book.

Thank being said, it was interesting to discover the world that McCaffrey had created. It was unlike any other book I'd read where dragons were a major player. Instead of just existing as some ancient being, the dragons had been genetically crafted for the purpose of protecting Pern from the Threads. They must ingest a particular stone in order to produce fire, and they have the ability to go between, an area of nothingness and sensory deprivation between here and there. An ability, they discover, that can also take them between time. I thought this was all very unique, and I appreciated that aspect of the story.

The main characters, Lessa and F'lar, and likable enough. Lessa is a very feisty, strong female character, F'lar is a bit of a know-it-all, rather pompous, but overall he means well and has good ideas.

I'm in the middle with this book. It didn't grab me like other books have but it didn't make me want to chuck it across the room either. We'll see what the next two books in the trilogy hold.

~Ren