RenTheWriter

Tea, Cats, and Books

A book is best read with tea in your hand and a cat on your lap.

Bands Named After Classic Literature

Reblogged from Bookish Quotes:

I love reading while listening to good music so I've read the article about bands and origins of their names with great attention. Musicians are often perceived as merrymakers, addicts or playboys. Good to know that for many inspirations came from high classic literature. The full lint of bands can be found here.

THE DOORS

The Doors took their band name from Aldous Huxley's The Doors of Perception, which was itself taken from The Marriage of Heaven and Hell from English poet William Blake:

“If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, Infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things thro' narrow chinks of his cavern.”

MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE

Bassist Mikey Way was working at a Barnes & Noble when he was taken with the title Ecstasy: Three Tales of Chemical Romance from Scottish novelist Irvine Welsh. His older brother and co-founder Gerard Way suggested the word "My" at the beginning of the band name.

MOBY

Born Richard Hall, the electronic songwriter got his middle name "Melville" and the nickname "Moby" from his parents, who told him at a young age that Moby Dick author Herman Melville was in their family lineage. "The basis for Richard Melville Hall—and for Moby—is that supposedly Herman Melville was my great-great-great-granduncle," he told CNN.

MORE BANDS