RenTheWriter

Tea, Cats, and Books

A book is best read with tea in your hand and a cat on your lap.

The end of another adventure in Tortall

Lady Knight  - Tamora Pierce

At last we have come to the end of Kel's journey to knighthood.

Before the paint has even dried on her shield, Kel finds herself in command of a refugee camp. The newly risen king of Scanra has united the many clans into one army and all-out war has come to Tortall. Needless to say, Kel is a little put out by the fact she has to be stuck in a refugee camp instead of out fight against Scanrans or searching for The Nothing Man, a mage responsible for creating deadly Killing Machines, and man the Cave of Ordeal told her she was destined to kill. But in Kel, as always, takes her responsibility seriously and become very close with all of her charges.

I won't go into detail and spoil the ending, but I would like to say that I really appreciated it because, even though the country was in the middle of a war, the ending wasn't centered on vanquishing the enemy in a huge bloody battle, it wasn't about good conquering over evil (I mean it was, but not in the classic, big epic fantasy sort of way). It was an ending centered on compassion and the love of our fellow man, our friends and family. It was and ending filled with self-sacrifice and a much needed dose of humanity, something I think the world could use more of.

~Ren