RenTheWriter

Tea, Cats, and Books

A book is best read with tea in your hand and a cat on your lap.

Short, sweet, to the point

The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Katherine Woods

I'd considered reading this for a while since it was a classic but didn't make the final design to read it until a former co-worker said it was worth a read. So I figured I'd give it a whirl. Hell, it's only 110 pages anyway.

I think the entire message of the story is pretty well summed up in the dedication. The author dedicates it to the child version of a good friend of his. Okay, so were going on about differences between children and adults.

Okay, yeah, makes sense. There are a lot of distinctions between kids and adults, for obvious reasons. And I see what the author was trying to convey in this little book with the character of the Little Prince but by the end I just found myself thinking you could sum up the message in the book with the phrase, "Don't be a dick," or whatever variation of that sentiment you'd like to use.

The Little Prince was sweet and innocent and was untainted by the evils of money and responsibility and power and booze. So he could see life more clearly and simply than any of the adults he encountered could. And that is something I will not deny. Once we grow up we certainly get bogged down with "matters of consequence" and we forget to just live and enjoy what is around us.

So for that reason, I did like The Little Prince. It is acting as a reminder to not be so conceited and power hungry all the time and to appreciate the beauty of this world. We should all try and retain certain childhood qualities in our adult life or else adult life will be very boring indeed.

~Ren