RenTheWriter

Tea, Cats, and Books

A book is best read with tea in your hand and a cat on your lap.

The biggest success story in Yellowstone's history

The Killing of Wolf Number Ten: The True Story - Thomas McNamee

Please excuse me while I finish crying.

I continue to pick up books with such spoilerific and depressing titles as The Killing of Wolf Number Ten even though I know once I reach the back cover I will be a mixed bag of anger and sadness and hopeful optimism. It's a very mild form of self-inflicted torture. But I suppose that's kind of all reading.

Anyway, this was a short, quick, very emotionally charged read. The bulk of the story was dedicated to the story of wolves Nine and Ten, the first pair of wolves to establish roots in Yellowstone in some 70 years. I did like how the author also jumped ahead to more recent years and discussed the current state of the park and how the wolves are doing. Which of course was its own form of torture because of course an issue as big and complicated and with as much opposition as the wolf reintroduction is never going to have a neat and happy ending.

I didn't really realize it until I was staring at the chapter head with the date "January 12th, 1995" but the reintroduction of wolves, not just to Yellowstone but the rest of the lower 48, has been a part of my entire life. I was only 5 when wolves Nine and Ten were flown down from Canada and brought to Lamar Valley. Since I was old enough to be aware of the issue it has always been a concern of mine. It has brought me great joy to see wolves returned to so many areas of the States and I will be happier still when people abandon their misplaced fear and hatred of them.

Thomas McNamee does a wonderful job of capturing the tension, fear, joy and hope that everyone involved in the reintroduction effort felt as they work tirelessly to see the wolves returned to Yellowstone. I am grateful to him for this book and to everyone who worked so hard to bring home the wolf.

~Ren