RenTheWriter

Tea, Cats, and Books

A book is best read with tea in your hand and a cat on your lap.

Aldo Zelnick: Knight or Knave?

Kerfuffle (The Aldo Zelnick Comic Novel Series) - Kendra Spanjer, Karla Oceanak

I feel compelled to say that I am the teensiest bit biased when it comes to this series as I work with its creators. But! I am also committed to keeping my review honest. So there you have it.

Kerfuffle is the 11th installment in the Aldo Zelnick Comic Novel series. Now that Aldo is a 5th grader, he gets to participate in the Dana Elementary Medieval Faire along with his friends, Jack and Bee. The three of them decided to adopt their own knights code in preparation for the coming festivities. Aldo finds his knightly qualities put to the test by his brother's knavish new friend.

As an adult reading a book way below their reading level, I can honestly say reading these books is never boring. They are smart and clever and the added vocabulary element sometimes makes me feel like a dolt ( I mean come on, who ever uses the word kvetching or kammererite?). I find the Aldo books are kind of like those movies that are supposed to be for kids but there are plenty of those adult jokes that kids won't really get for the right reason but adults love.

We see Aldo grow up through these books and Kerfuffle finds Aldo in a situation where he is definitely forced to grow up a bit. These books do a great job of touching on tough issues without shoving a moral down your throat or being too preachy one way or the other. They are a nice balance of fun and learning.

~Ren