RenTheWriter

Tea, Cats, and Books

A book is best read with tea in your hand and a cat on your lap.

Poetry for the Everyman

Aimless Love: New and Selected Poems - Billy Collins

I don't often read poetry. The last book of poetry I read was for a class, some three years ago now.

I picked up Billy Collins' Aimless Love during a visit to Montana, rather unexpectedly. I'd been unsure about buying a copy since I would've only been doing so on the recommendation of someone I've never even met. But I was set on check out and supporting my fellow indie store and that was the first book that came to mind.

I fell in love with Collins' work after reading just the forward. There is a elegance in the simplicity of Collins' work. He takes the everyday minutia of life and looks at it in a new way, turning some dull and commonplace into something beautiful.

Some of his poems are poignant, some funny, others deceptively heart-wrenching. This was a great second book to be reading, for people who like to do that. I could pick up the book, read a handful of poems and then set the book down and go onto something else.

I would recommend this to anyone who has never been a fan of poetry. It took me years but I have finally gotten to a place where I believe not all poetry is overly complicated, cryptic and only makes references to obscure things no normal person has ever heard of.

~Ren