RenTheWriter

Tea, Cats, and Books

A book is best read with tea in your hand and a cat on your lap.

Pop stars are gods. What'll they think of next?

The Wicked + The Divine Vol. 1: The Faust Act - Kieron Gillen, Jamie McKelvie

I don't read many graphic novels, but I picked this one up because a coworker recommended it and it sounded really cool. And it is pretty darn cool. It's not cool that the first volume ended on a cliffhanger like that (it's the second I've had do endure within the month and I am not super stoked about it) but let's not talk about that.

It took me a while to really grasp what was going on in the book. The creators didn't info dump, which is nice, instead they started off telling the story like you knew what was going on, which you kind of did, and slowly filled in the gaps naturally with dialogue. I actually flipped back through the first several pages when I'd finished the book to help make sense of the smaller nuances I might have missed on the first pass.

This first volume really just scratched the surface of this world where gods are reincarnated and live as glamorous pop stars and are worshiped by almost everyone. We meet a lot of characters, including Laura, the narrator, but there is so much more to learn about them! This first volume got the ball rolling, and like I said, ended on that freaking cliffhanger! I'm excited to take the dive into volume two and really see what this world is all about.

~Ren