RenTheWriter

Tea, Cats, and Books

A book is best read with tea in your hand and a cat on your lap.

Biology: This Shit's Complicated (alternate title)

Where Do Camels Belong?: The Story and Science of Invasive Species - Ken Thompson

For those who are unfamiliar, I'm not only passionate about books, I'm also passionate about biology. So a book about biology is right up my alley. I picked this book up simply because it was about invasive species, a topic that interests me greatly. And the subtitle had me intrigued: 'Why Invasive Species Aren't All Bad.'

This subtitle had me intrigued because for a long time my stance on invasive species was one of opposition. I was in line with the group that thinks native is always good and alien is always bad. But this book has given me some new insights and changed my viewpoint.

Thompson does a good job of breaking things down into digestible pieces for the reader. Each chapter focuses on a different aspect of the complex issue of invasive and introduced species. He delves, not just into current discourse on the subject, but also the history of where things have come from.

As with most things pertaining to biology and ecosystems and all the pieces that make them up there, is no easy answer, no simple solution or quick fix. The issue of invasive species and whether or not they are good or not is a complicated and complex topic, the real effects of which often occur well outside a timeframe we can comprehend in the present moment.

Throughout the book, Thompson examines both sides of the issue, avoiding the childish act of calling one side wrong and the other side right. There really is no right or wrong answer to the question, "Are invasive species bad?" It depends on the situation. Thompson does offer many reasonable suggestions as to how further discussions of invasive species should be handled, which ultimately is the best we can do.

~Ren