RenTheWriter

Tea, Cats, and Books

A book is best read with tea in your hand and a cat on your lap.

Welcome to Emelan

Magic Steps - Tamora Pierce

I've been a fan of Tamora Pierce for a long while. She writes strong (mostly female) characters, creates vivid and unique worlds, and her plots are well-paced. I think I've nearly exhausted her collection of works, but I've still got a few series to read yet.

Magic Steps is the first in The Circle Opens quartet. Before I go on I should say I'm doing this a bit backwards. The Circle Opens quartet follows the Circle of Magic quartet. I didn't feel like I was missing huge chunks of information by not reading the Circle of Magic books first, the story stands on its own. But if you are anal about that kind of thing, read the Circle of Magic books first.

The edition I read didn't have a map in the front (humph) but I've gathered that these stories are set in a world outside of Tortall. So that's cool, the chance to learn about another world! The heroine of this book is Sandry, a young stitch witch. She must help young Pasco learn to control his magic through dance, and at the same time help track down murders using a most unusual magic.

Tamora Pierce once again has created a interesting world waiting to be explored. There are new kinds of magic to learn about and new evils. Sandry, still being fairly young, has lots of growing up to do. It will be interesting to see what other challenges she faces later in the series.

~Ren