RenTheWriter

Tea, Cats, and Books

A book is best read with tea in your hand and a cat on your lap.

A good book with a long title

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making - Catherynne M. Valente

Great title, eh? Cat Valente's The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland is a popular children's book that follows the adventures of September as she explores the many magical (and not so magical) places of Fairyland. I heard Cat Valente speak once and she is very interested in fairytales and folklore, which is evident in this book. In this book, she has created her own magical land with its own history and stories and tales.

While this book is accessible to young readers, I found it very enjoyable to read as an adult. Every chapter held some sort of whimsical and fantastical surprise. The characters were intriguing, like a wyverary, half wyvern, half library, or even 100-year-old furniture that has finally woken up. The voice of the narrator is very distinct and almost lulls you into feeling like the story is being read to you instead of the other way around.

I totally wasn't expecting it, but there was a twist ending! It was the kind of twist ending that broke your heart a little bit. So be prepared for that. Overall, reading this book was an adventure in itself and I look forward to reading the subsequent books.

~Ren