RenTheWriter

Tea, Cats, and Books

A book is best read with tea in your hand and a cat on your lap.

Magnus is my fav...but Blackwood's pretty cool too...

A Shadow Bright and Burning - Jessica Cluess

My coworker pushed this book on me (I think she's glad I'm back so she can start manipulating my reading list again). But it was totally fine that she did because it was awesome!

I always love a good, strong, female lead. And add a bit of fantasy, magic and heart-wrenching flirtation and I'm sold. All of the characters in this book had great personalities that complimented each other (and sometimes clashed with each other) in the best ways. There was witty dialogue, epic fight scenes, and I already mentioned the flirting.

Sometimes, whilst enjoying a good fantasy novel, I have moments where I wonder how authors are going to keep coming up with new, fantastic worlds of magic and awful baddies. But I'm almost always pleasantly surprised by what I come across. Jessica Cluess is no exception. The Ancients sound freaking terrifying and I can't wait to see more of them. And the distinctions made between witches, magicians and sorcerers was a new twist.

All in all, this is a great debut novel that is an exciting, funny, with totally badass characters. Looking forward to the next book!

~Ren