RenTheWriter

Tea, Cats, and Books

A book is best read with tea in your hand and a cat on your lap.

A horrible match made in chaos

This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity) - Victoria Schwab

Victoria Schwab never fails to impress me. Her characters, her worlds, her imagination. Uh, just, I love all of it.

So the quick way to sort of sum up This Savage Song is Romeo and Juliet with monsters and no romance. And without the ridiculous ending where the two main characters kill themselves. What's up with that? Kate Harker and August Flynn are the two least likely people to meet and get along. They live in the same city but it is divided down the middle, with Kate's father running one half and August's running the other. And they don't play too nice together.

Kate is a total badass, kind of what I imagine my own kickass alter ego would be, but that version of me only exists in my head. She's sassy, smart, tough, but she has a soft sentimental side in there somewhere. She's just gone through a lot of shit and I can understand why she's chosen to suppress that side. August is the exact opposite. He is soft, sweet, caring. So of course he and Kate were gonna get together, right?

Victoria Schwab once again puts a fresh, interesting spin on something that is common place in our own world. These monsters of Verity are created through horrible acts. Murder, violence. These acts leave things in their wake, but in the world of Verity they become very very real. But there is a dynamic to them. While Malchai and Corsai are vicious, the Sunai are the sort of embodiment of retribution and justice. Once again, a physical presence of the different responses people have to terrible acts of violence.

Victoria Schwab has a way of exploring deep, complex themes without getting too philosophical about it. It makes her writing interesting and compelling while also being immensely entertaining and fun. Can't wait for the last book!

~Ren