RenTheWriter

Tea, Cats, and Books

A book is best read with tea in your hand and a cat on your lap.

Funny title, sad book

Men Explain Things To Me - Rebecca Solnit

While this book is short, it took me a while to get through because the content is very heavy.

The human race seems to have a lot of issues we just can't seem to get over no matter how much they are talked about, studied, and fought against. The oppression of women is certainly one of those. Don't get me wrong, we've come a long way, but we still can't seem to shake this skewed dichotomy.

I appreciated Rebecca Solnit's book because she did a very good job of not being accusatory. She wasn't just going on a tirade about how men are bad and they treat women poorly and they are all just awful. She addressed the larger scope of the problem. She didn't compartmentalize each issue (rape, murder, what have you) as it's own separate problem. She acknowledge those things as symptoms of an over arching disease.

There are a lot of things to consider, lots of variables when looking at a topic like this, and Solnit tries to consider more, if not all of them, in this collection of essays instead of just a few. Sometimes it may seem like a topic is being talked to death, being pushed in our faces over and over again. But if we don't talk about it and we don't keep fighting against the problem, it will never go away. We can't afford to become complacent.

~Ren