RenTheWriter

Tea, Cats, and Books

A book is best read with tea in your hand and a cat on your lap.

Breaking my crooked heart...

Crooked Kingdom: A Sequel to Six of Crows - Leigh Bardugo

*sobs uncontrollably for a minute*

Okay, better.

So, I read Six of Crows and loved it. And then I moved to NZ for a year and books were expensive so I haven't read Crooked Kingdom until just now and oh my god. What everyone (and by that I mean my co-workers) were telling me was totally true! And of course it didn't make it any easier to handle when I actually read it.

Soooo, this had all the stuff I loved about Six of Crows in it. Diverse, complex characters, deception, scheming, action, emotions. Each character got a sort of "deep dive" chapter about their past, which I ate up. And they happened so seamlessly with what was currently going on I sometimes found myself thinking, "What were we talking about? Oh right, screwing someone over." It also occurred to me, during these intimate looks into these characters' lives, how attached I'd gotten to them even though this is only a two book series.

I could go on more about how the subject matter in this book is rather topical, how Ketterdam could be seen as a hyperbolic representation of our own world where money and the market rule and people are the last things to be concerned about. But I don't want to ruin the book for myself. I want to just focus on the characters and how, even though they do terrible things that does not make them terrible people (not entirely anyway).

If you have not read Six of Crows, read it. And then read Crooked Kingdom and prepare to be sad.

~Ren